There have been bells at St Peter’s Waverton from before when, in 1916 the current back four bells were cast by George Lee of Congleton , the only bell foundry ever in Cheshire. The heaviest bell, or tenor, weighs 8 cwt, 10 pounds, or 411 kg, and is in the key of G. This is fairly light for it’s note. Call changes for these four bells are still chalked on the ringing chamber walls.
In 1908 the church decided to add two trebles, work undertaken by John Taylor of Loughborough, along with work to retune and rehang the original four bells. This was then further developed 100 years later in 2008 when the church decided to celebrate the centenary by augmentation to the complete octave. This work was also carried out by Taylor, Eayre and Smith, with much of the ancillary work being undertaken by members of the bell-ringers and wider parish community. This formed part of a wider celebration with other major improvements carried out in the church.
The result is a light, easy going ring of bells with a good rope circle.
|Treble||2-3-19||G||2008||Taylors, Eayre |
|Peace to his People|
|2nd||3-1-14||F#||2008||Taylors, Eayre |
|Glory to God in|
|3rd||3-2-19||E||1908||John Taylor |
|John Taylor |
|4th||4-0-23||D||1908|| John Taylor |
| John Taylor |
|5th||4-3-16||C||1615||George Lee||Ihesvs be ovr Spede|
|6th||5-3-11||B||1615||George Lee||Jhon Tilston |
|7th||6-2-11||A||1615||George Lee||Henrie Berkenhead|
|Tenor||8-0-10||G||1615||George Lee||Edward Dutton |